There are a lot of men out there who regularly wash their faces and do everything they should be doing for their skin, but let’s face it: there are a lot who aren’t. As a man, your skin care is just as important as anyone else’s. Regularly washing and caring for your face will improve your appearance, confidence and health.
If you’re new to the skin-care game, though, we’ve got you covered. Read our blog today to learn about the best (simple) ways to take care of your face and put your best face forward.
Wash Your Face Daily
There’s a lot going on with your face each day. You’re exposed to dirt and other pollution, you sweat and have natural oils and there’s really no guaranteeing that oils from your food won’t also end up on your face. With so many things to fight against, the real superhero here is face cleanser.
You should definitely wash your face day and night, even if it can seem daunting at first. Washing at night will remove all the debris and excess oil from the day, and washing in the morning will remove oil from the night and freshen your face (and help you wake up!).
Make sure to use lukewarm water instead of hot water. Here are a few more things to be aware of with your face-washing routine:
- Get your own products. No more using your girlfriend’s, wife’s, sister’s or roommate’s cleanser! Find a product that will work for your specific skin type and stick with it.
- Check product labels and ingredients. Are you prone to acne or oily skin? Use a cleanser that is oil free or non-comedogenic. Do you have sensitive skin? Look for mild, fragrance-free products. Dry skin? Try finding a product that has glycolic acid or lactic acid.
- Hit the cleanser after you hit the gym. It is so important to wash your face after you work out, whether your exercise was outdoors, in the gym or was easy and you didn’t even sweat much. You’ll get oils and sweat off your face, along with any other debris that may have accumulated.
Moisturize Your Face Daily
When you use moisturizer consistently, you’ll trap water in your skin. This will feel great on your face, but it’ll also help your skin look brighter and younger. You’ll reduce the appearance of fine lines and avoid any pesky patches of dry skin.
Make sure you always moisturize while your face is still damp right after washing or shaving.
Refine Your Shaving Technique
This is the main area where your skin care routine will actually differ from that of a woman’s. When it comes to taking care of your face, you don’t want to shave any time off your shaving technique; take the time and do it right.
By rushing through the process, you could irritate your skin and contribute to razor bumps or burns or ingrown hairs. Try these tips for improving your shaving:
- Take care of your razor. Keep your razor in a dry environment (not a moist shower environment) and change your blade frequently. This will cut down on the chance for bacteria and fungi to thrive and cause skin infections.
- Apply an alcohol-free aftershave. Alcohol will dry your skin, but a good after-shave will soothe and hydrate it. It’s an effective way to seal in moisture.
- Find a blade that works for you. You can find razors that work for your skin sensitivity and beard coarseness. Sometimes multi-blade razors will shave too closely to your skin and irritate you, so you could try a single- or double-blade razor instead. This is especially important for avoiding razor burns, ingrown hairs and more.
- Do you frequently sport a beard? Invest in a beard oil. Beard oils don’t just hydrate your beard and keep it smooth — they also soothe the skin underneath your beard that likely doesn’t get much attention.
Try Something New
If you’re not getting what you want out of your skin care, then change up your routine and try something new! Get adventurous and try some of the most unusual products out there, or opt for the tried-and-true LED light treatment method.
The iderma® Youth Restoring Masque will work hard for you while you don’t work hard at all! All you have to do is use the light-therapy device for eight minutes every other day. After just a few weeks, you should be seeing results.
LED light therapy at home brings convenience to this effective skin treatment. The iderma has 128 red and infrared LED lights. The red wavelengths will focus on the surface of your skin and the infrared wavelengths will penetrate more deeply. By working below the surface of your skin, the UV light therapy will stimulate cell growth, reproduction and collagen. This means that your skin — with some help from the infrared LED light therapy — is just working harder to give you what you want and what it’s already producing.
If you’re starting to notice signs of aging, are dissatisfied with other aging skin treatments or simply want to try out something new for your face, start with the iderma. It’s simple to use and you’ll see results quickly.
Take Care Of You
There are a lot of different factors that contribute to your skin health — not just what you put on your face every day. Look into some of our other information for taking care of your whole body and how it will affect your face:
Make sure to also check your skin regularly for any abnormalities or suspicious spots. And, of course, it’s never too early to start thinking about wrinkles. By following the techniques in this blog, you’ll increase the likelihood of clear, healthy skin over time.